Thursday, July 9, 2009

Poster Child

Hey readers,

After a night when I got well and truly knexed roughly a year ago (knex party 2 will happen in the very near future – and fyi actual knex is involved), there was a lot to be ashamed about. But I had never thought it would include the posters in my room.

I was told by two friends that my room was quite 90s, which was quite ignorant of the fact that Buffy and the Vampire Slayer and the Foo Fighters continued right into the 21st century. But when girls notice these things, it’s important to do what they say. Plus being a fickle, of-the moment guy, I tend to react to these things swiftly – consequences be damned. Come to think of it, that explains a lot about me.

Anyway, I’ve always been one for grand gestures, so I set fire to the posters. Forgive me Sarah…


I guess at least one of you readers is wondering what became of my bare walls (there’s a lot of you according to the flag counter so I’m optimistic). Well as it happens, I decided to toss up any poster that came my way from clubs (thanks to my sister’s vague job which she got paid for. I’m semi-sure it was nothing dirty), cinemas, and cds, but mostly music mags. Namely NME.

This year NME has sort of made a point of including lots and lots of posters in their magazine. Around the time of the NME awards, they were simply in every issue. Most are unusable, which tends to be the case when they’re not a picture of a band posing or if it was a concert which you weren’t at.
It’s a good thing I’m quite ignorant about these things as long as I can put them on my wall. Plus if people ask, I was at all of them ;) Thankfully they’re all double sided so you can genuinely avoid the very worst pics (I’m talking about you giant nude Pete Doherty/unimpressive pics of Glastonbury tents).

So here’s the FTCz official review of the posters that have made my room look gaudy, childish and messy, but importantly, more 21st century-esque. Even though some are of old films I haven’t seen (*NB: I’ve never seen Jaws or Close encounters, but I’ve gotten the jist from various spoofs and homages).
All who have entered my room recently have approved of the new posters but public opinion should always take a backseat to reviews, no matter how much Bon Jovi think the inverse is true :P
Anyway, the review...
Above My Amp


This spot lies above my somewhat damaged amp. There's two really cool MGMT posters, 2 eqaully awesome Crystal Castles posters, a decent Klaxons one, some nothing ones of KoL, Florence, White Stripes, the Distillers (from my Kerrang days doncha know) and the lamest possible pic Late Of The Pier could ever be in. Despite the shameful LotP poster, this section gets a FTW rating.

By My Vinyls





There's this cool looking radiohead one with the odd advice 'right hand pull trigger.left hand shrug shoulder'. Needless to say i always try it when i'm hungover. There's also the cool blur reunion pic, useless posters of white lies (gag), Florence Welch with Glasvegas (why not separate pics?!?) and a YYYs one that reminds me of my giant Karen O poster. This corner of the room earns a meh rating.
By my locker


The last of these terrible pics (which i didn't have to leave my bed to take as you can tell :P) is by my locker. Out of all the other sections around the place, this is probably the worst combo. I don't care for Oasis, Munich and that is the worst Libs poster i could possibly have. Good thing it's hiden to the side. This section gets an epic fail rating.

While my dodgy pics didn't do their posters much good, NME were pretty good about giving away so many. Hopefully they'll keep it up :)

Till next time...

No comments: