Thursday, July 9, 2009

Teh ClassikZ #6

Hey readers,

As bloggers, we here at FTCz have a very low attention span. So when we introduced this feature way back when, we were surprised that it lasted any length at all. But for some reason, we here at FTCz have decided now is the time to bring it back.

I, sonic c, am working at some Irish version of Hello magazine at present, so while searching frantically for an article I accidentally closed, staring me in the face was the big list I made on a whim for teh classikz series. And believe me, it’s a rubbish list. I’d consider any list that has 2 Boards of Canada albums enough to kill off my pulse. But there’s a few albums on the list FTCz approves of (except Bruce, who very clearly told me to turn some of them off).So here we go…

First up is the ‘not really a classic, but still more worthy than any of the previous entries’ debut album from Be Your Own Pet.





On a trip to a yacht party recently (such is my life), my friend was a little bemused that I was playing such angry music in my car. I responded by saying that I only ever listen to this cd or gangster rap in my car. But rather than the usual response of ‘turn this shit off now’, she allowed it to a) loop and b) turned up to a ridiculous volume. Silent J (FTCz nickname for her) is pretty…um…strong willed, so if she disapproved, I would have known :P

Be Your Own Pet broke up last summer making them the best band to split up in a long while. It was a blow which we haven’t fully gotten over, which is strange. In fact, we feel pretty good usually when bands break up because they can’t deal with playing the same songs over and over on stage. And we were very chuffed with ourselves the day the disgraceful Boy Kill Boy broke up (I binned my review copy of that album and gave them a rotten review at some newspaper if I recall).


Anyway, while Be Your Own Pet are no more, they did leave behind 2 really good albums for us in their wake. And while I’ll never quite understand what the album cover picture is of, their debut album is quite a memorable affair. It doesn’t hurt that it’s ridiculously loud either.

No comments: